On completion of Cox's road across the mountains, Governor Lachlan Macquarie lost no time in travelling to the much-talked about Bathurst plains, boasting the river named in his honour.
Accompanied by Mrs Macquarie, staff and soldiers, the governor set out from Sydney in late April 1815, reaching his destination within ten days. The party camped on the banks of the Macquarie River for six days and on Sunday May 7th 1815 the whole company was ordered to gather around the flagstaff on the western bank for the raising of the Union Jack. It was on this site that the intended township of Bathurst was named, after the Secretary of the Colonies, Earl Bathurst.
source: Bathurst 2795, Bathurst Regional Council, 2011, Land and Property Information